When children and teens get in trouble with the law, many parents worry about how the charges will affect their children's futures. They worry that their kids will not be able to enroll in college or the military, receive financial aid or pursue meaningful careers.
If your child has been arrested, worrying is understandable. But it is also important to act quickly and contact me, Catherine Cleveland. I am a Salt Lake City juvenile defense lawyer with more than 10 years of experience getting favorable results for juveniles accused of crimes.
Contact me by phone toll free at 877-753-1247 or online to discuss your juvenile defense charge today.
Juvenile Defense Attorney in Salt Lake City
When I take your case, my goal is to protect your child's record so that he or she can walk away from the incident without experiencing negative consequences in the future. I do this by using my knowledge of the local Juvenile Court rules and procedures. As an experienced advocate, I work closely with you to develop a successful legal strategy.
This is true regardless of the seriousness of the charges your child faces:
- Underage drinking: Most children attend parties at some time during high school or college, and it is not unusual for alcohol to be served to underage children. If your child has been charged as a minor in possession of alcohol, I can help.
- Juvenile sex crimes: I represent children and young adults accused of sex crimes against other children. These crimes often include sexting, solicitation of a minor over the Internet or committing sexual acts with a minor.
- Juvenile delinquency: When kids are in trouble, I can represent them in legal proceedings. My clients are accused of truancy, smoking, being out beyond curfew or other behaviors associated with juvenile delinquency.
- Theft offenses: When minors are caught shoplifting (retail theft), I can represent them in juvenile law matters.
- Drug crimes: I defend minors who have been accused of possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia or other drug crimes.
- Crimes against property: Sometimes minors do not realize the true consequences of their actions until it is too late. They may destroy property at school or property that belongs to a classmate or neighbor without thinking of the repercussions. I can help protect their rights in these cases.
- Possession of fake or altered identification: Minors may not realize that possession of a fake or altered driver's license can lead to serious trouble. I represent minors who have been accused.
In Utah, like other places, the juvenile justice system is different than the criminal justice system for adults. Juvenile law is focused on rehabilitation rather than punishment, which means that the goal is to deter a child from getting in legal trouble again — often by giving him or her the support needed to engage in more positive activities.
Many parents are surprised to discover that most juvenile cases are not decided by a jury. Matters are only reviewed before a judge in a bench trial, unless the child is tried as an adult. Minors are tried as adults in only the most serious matters, such as violent crimes and sex crimes.
Contact a Salt Lake City Juvenile Defense Lawyer Today
To talk with a Salt Lake City juvenile defense attorney about the charges you face, call 801-783-3488 or toll free at 877-753-1247. You can also contact me online.